Home » Forum

My idea is...

Take less than 22 months to respond to petitions!

48 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    George AllwellGeorge Allwell shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

11 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Dane EricksenDane Ericksen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Section 1.403 of the FCC rules states that rulemaking petitions "WILL be given a file number, and PROMPTLY thereafter, a public notice." The loophole is that this rule does not say that an RM number will also be PROMPTLY assigned. So if you do win the FCC rulemaking lottery, and get an RM number, then public notice must be promptly given.

• NunYaNunYa commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Tom - i hate to say it but it would be easier for you to get blood from a stone than for the FCC to do anything right. This organization has been nothing but a joke for many, many years. I just wish regular people actually mattered to this government of "our" haha
        Best of luck to you, don't hold your breath.

• Sean McLaughlinSean McLaughlin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

FCC engagement must rely upon some linkage with real world issues and policy deliberations that make a difference.
        No amount of social network "engagement" will make up for neglect and inaction by the FCC - and the Alliance for Community Media petition is a shameful example of the FCC not doing their job in the real world.

By allowing community media, esp. public, education and government access media to suffer and decline - the FCC does more harm to public engagement than any amount of "social network" innovation will achieve!

• CitizensfirstCitizensfirst commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Television and cable is the public square of modernity. Access to the public square has always been a tenet of the framers and the 1st amendment. You guys have been dragging your feet on this access for 2 years while main venue for this access, PEG, is getting crushed, and by attrition eradicated. One would think that the nature of your vaunted positions as policy makers would acknowledge and act on such knowledge in the public interest. I am ashamed, now, that you all are what we have of stewards of the public interest.

• Tom B in OhioTom B in Ohio commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Media Bridges Cincinnati, who has been the nonprofit provider of Public & Educational Access Television to the city of Cincinnati for more than 20 years, is about to see funding for those operations cease due to statewide video franchising.

You guys can't even see fit to act on a petition that your own staff seemed to think has merit (hearing before house Subcommittee on Financial Services and General Government last year) and has been sitting before you for more than 22 months now. I'm pretty sure you'll never get to the issue of how statewide video franchising is crushing PEG Access.

We are at less than 6 months to go. When are you guys going to do something?

• Tom B in OhioTom B in Ohio commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be nice if you all would get off the stick on MB Docket 09-13. PEG stations are dying out here and you all seem to be doing everything you can NOT to do something.

Feedback and Knowledge Base