Home » Forum

My idea is...

Add SMS spam as a complaint option

Inbound SMS messages are NOT free.

Telemarketers/SPAMers have ruined e-mail. Do not let SMS be the next target. Unless you have an unlimited "Texting" plan you may be paying 10-20 cents per inbound message. This needs to be illegal and the Carriers should be required to police their networks for SMS Spammers.

33 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Ryan SmithRyan Smith shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

3 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • raghupathyraghupathy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

the spam sms goes like this " SKODA LIMITED . Your Resume has been selected online. Kindly download your letter by link-- __________ . "

The downloaded letter states that i am selected for the post of assistant manager and has to pay 8550 INR in favour of a person called hukum chand with the account number 20065157463 vilas mercantile bank. Please put these kind of people in jail. Save the jobless people..

• Aaron J. AngelAaron J. Angel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Carriers are only capable of responding to spam emanating from their users. Spammers do not send SMS spam from mobile phones, they send it from off the network, perhaps using a shortcode service, to deliver to users on multiple networks.

While an SMS spam complaint option seems like a good idea, calling your carrier is just as easy. While they can't 'police' off-site spammers, most carriers (if not all) have a way to block messages from certain senders, and I would imagine they are likely to give credit when spam is reported as the level of SMS spam is incredibly low, just as is the level of cell phone telemarketing -- because it's easily traced and very costly when it gets to court.

Feedback and Knowledge Base