Home » Forum

My idea is...

Get rid of rules that cannot be enforced such as the GMRS license requirement.

Stores like Wal-Mart sell bubble-pack GMRS radios by the hundreds and the public freely uses them without even knowing that a license is required to operate them. Very few people bother to buy the license and no one in the FCC seems to care. It's time to stop this foolishness and just do away with the license requirment.

36 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Gary Brown shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

7 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Not a ham radio operator. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree, simplex GMRS is used just like FRS anyway (mainly because the users don't know the difference, a 22 channel radio vs. a 14 channel radio with much more advertised range? of course!). Keep GMRS a repeater-based service. People using GMRS repeaters are using professional gear anyway.

• Edward Schober, PE commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Fold simplex GMRS into FRS. If you want a repeater system, then get GMRS.license. The GMRS fees are ridiculous.
        If you don't intend to enforce a rule, don't make it.

• KC2PYR commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How about a technological fix? In order to make the radio work, you will need to go to the FCC website, where they can either verify, or sell you a license. Enter the radio's serial number (or whatever), and the website will spit back a code to enter into the radio to make it work. Kind of how Netflix activates set-top boxes.

• K7MHI commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

amen, regulate the manufacture not the user. do we really need to have more lawyers enforcing this stuff?

• orion.thrower commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Well I say either an either or situation here. Either get rid of the rules or simply increase the man power to enforce the rules. I would say make it hard to sell the items to people who don't have a license with a heavy penalty to the company that does sell them to unlicensed users. I think the best way would to simply get rid of the rules...especially now since there are probably a ton of these devices out there.

• Jason commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Millions of moms and dads have been made into criminals because they think they are just buying a walkie talkie to keep track of the family at theme parks and other public sites. Unlike CB, these radios use short range VHF signals. Since the FCC does not have the man power, the will, or the ability to enforce this regulation, just make the GMRS/FRS radios legal to use without a license. Either that or start enforceing the law and build about a few thousand new prisons to house everyone that is breaking the law.

• Joe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

No, another ciaos band like CB!? That's what you will have.
        Make the combo FRS/GMRS radios illegal to manufacture. You can buy one or the other.

Feedback and Knowledge Base