Home » Forum

My idea is...

Do NOT take any more spectrum away from broadcast TV

With the digital television switch, all frequencies above channel 51 have been re-allocated for other uses. Decades ago, this same process took away frequencies above channel 69. No matter what the greedy telecoms claim, they do not NEED the remaining TV spectrum. They only WANT to destroy free over-the-air TV so that they can get into the bank accounts of the remaining Americans who do not yet pay for television.

Taking more spectrum away from OTA TV will be a HUGE financial burden on local broadcasters, who will then need to purchase and install new equipment in many cases. It will also be another burden to the American public, who not even a year ago went through the process of the digital transition. Now, with their home systems working correctly, many would need new antennas if their local channels change because of this frequency re-allocation. The consilidation of channels will also mean more interference between broadcasters. It could also force the use of more sub-channels, which will degrade the picture quality due to reduced bandwidth. All of this will lead more people to pay TV, which is just what the greedy telecoms are hoping and expecting will happen.

DO NOT change the TV spectrum again!!!!

6 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Bill Polley shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

2 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • steve brandon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Statistics (sometimes lie) say only 6% of the US public gets there television service "over the air". Broadcast TV is a huge waste of spectrum that could be used more efficiently to meet the spectrum needed for more broadband data. Video delivery over broadband would more effectively use the spectrum as well as provide a wide variety of other uses.

• Bill Polley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

EDIT: I know that this is not something to make the FCC more efficient, but I could find no other place to voice this concern on this site.

Feedback and Knowledge Base