Home » Forum

My idea is...

let hams who work for public safety and hosptials participate in drills with out waivers

I got into ham radio to help ,people, but nothing is more frustrating to me than the thought of not being able to train for disaster because the hospital I work for is a for-profit entity. I dont mind not getting paid for the drill, but there is no use cause the fcc has to micro manage that. Hams have policed themselves for years and will continue to do so. all i want is to be able to be ready cause in a disaster we are all working for the public good!

15 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Joshua AndersonJoshua Anderson shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

2 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Gordon BaillieGordon Baillie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It seems crazy that an Emergency Manager can plan a drill, and be encouraged by ARES/RACES to involve Ham radio, but not be able to participate in the drill themselves because they are a government employee.

• scya.llscya.ll commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Another example would be those folks that work at nuclear power plants and are part of the Emergency Response Organizations (EROs). Currently they cannot serve as communicators with local RACES organizations without a waiver when Emergency Drills are performed. This regardless that participation as an ERO Team member is only a collateral duty to their real jobs for which they are paid a wage to perform. This is overly restrictive a waste of the FCC's time and resources to enforce for little positive gain to the public.

Feedback and Knowledge Base