Home » Forum

CLOSED: FCC.gov/Parents - What do you do to prevent your kids from watching inappropriate television shows?

The reboot.fcc.gov project has ended. All related public feedback forums have been closed.*

1. WHY WHY WHY ?!

WHY WHY WHY Does my 5 Year Old Daughter have to be exposed to men kicking and punching each other in the face during NFL Sunday commercials for extreme fighting? This is CRAZY. I don't care what shows people make/watch, but WHY is my family forced to SEE IT in ads during family hours?? Who's with me?

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Stop pharmaceuticals companies from advertising their drugs on television. That is a doctor's job.

I feel as though advertising these drugs on television is very similar to advertising cigarettes. With half of any commercial listing side effect after side effect and informing the public that "theres more than can be done for your depression" we are nurturing a society that praises pills instead of actual healing treatments. Pills can be very dangerous as these commercials inform, but why let a thirty second sound byte be information to anyone's health and well being. Beyond those points my children don't need to know about ED or "loss of intimacy" and frankly I dont want to hear…

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. 5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Only let them watch shows that are dvr recorded so they can skip commercials

I feel that even if the show is age appropriate, the commercials often are not. So we don't let them watch commercials and make them record anything they want to watch. Then when they view it, they must skip through them or I will just delete the show and they don't get to finish it.

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Marketing acoholic beverages through the use of children's shows on children's networks is inappropriate.

At 6:45am, on Nickelodeon, between "Sponge Bob Squarepants" episodes, my 7 and 6 year old kids were exposed to commercials through Time Warner Cable for a local liquor store. When I contacted TWC about the issue, it responded that TWC has no opinion about whether it is appropriate to market alcohol to elementary school children. Marketing of adult beverages to children through the use Sponge Bob Squarepants and other cartoon characters is appropriate and manipulative programming.

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Remote in hand! Dont take away MY right to watch tv that is clean and moral! If you want garbage you pay for it!

My rights for good wholesome shows with proper values are being taken away! Why should I have to go out of my way to block something! If you choose to view such content that's degrading and harmful to family values then YOU go out of your way! After all, when someone wants something extra you have to pay for it! Don't believe me? How much is a CHEESEburger in comparison to a HAMburger???

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. I will not longer let my kids watch the Super Bowl, for fear of having them flipped off by people in the halftime show.

AS far as that goes, the NFL can not even get singer that even know the words to the National athem. Now they have hired someone to flipp us off. Thanks NFL and NBC. I guess my question really is how would you feel if while shopping at the mall or having lunch in a restaurant and I walked up to you and your family and just flipped you off. That is what happend during the Super Bowl!

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Less profanity

South park use to censor out ashole and sht, why is this now allowed?? It should never be allowed, along with using the lords name in vain. And i once saw a commercial where a man slapped a womans butt, the camera was aimed above the waste but she made a ****** sound, this is still against the rules, happened at 1pm about 6 months ago, cant recall what station..

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Stop the violent images on TV

Please restrict the violent images shown on TV. I read one study done this year on 40 TV series about dead bodies shown "that the 40 television shows averaged 132 dead bodies in a single week." Every time I turn on the TV there is some new gruesome image to "draw in" viewers. I quickly turn the TV off and hope our children do not have to see this, but it is very disturbing. I think our culture is "eating" too much violence in our hearts and minds, and we are seeing the consequences of that in tragedies playing out…

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Protect the safety of the public in ALL pervasive, distant wire and radio communications.

This suggestion already was passed by Congress and is almost verbatim from the Communications Act of 1934.
    Looks like someone else needs to sue the FCC for malfeasance besides me in Neeley Jr v FCC et al, (5:12-cv-5208).

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Pull the Plug!

Television teaches our children how to live and I don't appreciate how it has corrupted our society. We don't watch it. I wonder who is behind increasing the profanity, violence and ****** content? Is it the mission of the FCC to destroy morality in America, or that of another country's government all together?

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. We need a new rating

Some shows have evil endings and you can get suckered into watching them. I think we need a rating to warn us to be prepared for disappointment and the ending is very disturbing.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. If the FCC relaxes rules....

We will have to unplug all of our tvs. There won't be any way to protect our children from commercials or inappropriate stuff from showing up on television shows that currently are okay for them to watch.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Be strong, Protect your children, And go to church.

I'm young, but I can see how bad the world has gotten. We need to stick together and protect the sanctity of the family and morals that should come naturally to it. If that means doing everything we can to regulate the Television and what is put on it, then that's what we'll do. Especially if it protects children in their developing years.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. 2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. 2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Follow the Rules

Those of us who have an FCC Licenses (in my case a Amateur Radio License) we have to follow certain rules. One of these is no foul or obscene language (97.113[4]). Objectionable topics and language is also discouraged. Broadcast Radio and TV are also restricted in having things that are objectionable. Just because times have changed, and we are perhaps not as offended by certain things, words and topics, does not mean that they are still not objectionable. In some cases things are already being pushed to the limit, but there is a line that should not be crossed. While…

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Gays kissing. I wish them no harm, but I do not want to see this. They need to make it plain upfront if a show or a series will have it.

Advertise upfront if a new show or tv series will be showing same *** couple kissing. I can turn it off once it is seen. I want to know up from, before buying a book, or watching a show that it will contain such displays.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Make TV channels followed more strict rules with TV MA.

I am appalled at some of the stuff that is allowed on TV before an adult hour. I have seen the show South Park on Comedy Central at 5pm, the program A 1000 Ways to Die on Spike in the morning. Both of these programs have had MA ratings on them and shouldn't be on at an hour where kids can see them and time zones should be taken into consideration, where it will still come on at a late hour regardless of the fact that its on the west coat. So I say make all local channels their affiliates,…

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. The Universal V-Chip: To Help Parents Protect their Children from Adult Media Content

According to the FCC website, the V-Chip was implemented in televisions in 2000 to allow parents to block television shows based on their TV rating according to the TV Parental Guidelines. This helps parents protect their children from adult content on television. There is currently no way to monitor children's media usage across a variety of devices, from smartphones, tablets, computers and more. A universal V-Chip system could allow parents to program all of the electronic devices that their children have access to. This sort of system would be an easy way to protect young children from adult media content.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

CLOSED: FCC.gov/Parents - What do you do to prevent your kids from watching inappropriate television shows?

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base