Home » Forum

CLOSED: FCC.gov/Parents - What do you do to prevent your kids from watching inappropriate television shows?

The reboot.fcc.gov project has ended. All related public feedback forums have been closed.*

1. The Universal V-Chip: To Help Parents Protect their Children from Adult Media Content

According to the FCC website, the V-Chip was implemented in televisions in 2000 to allow parents to block television shows based on their TV rating according to the TV Parental Guidelines. This helps parents protect their children from adult content on television. There is currently no way to monitor children's media usage across a variety of devices, from smartphones, tablets, computers and more. A universal V-Chip system could allow parents to program all of the electronic devices that their children have access to. This sort of system would be an easy way to protect young children from adult media content.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. 1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Higher standards for commercials especially with regards to violence

We have never let our children watch TV, even football games and the so-called "Discover" channel, unsupervised for the simple reason that they will be subject to gratuitous images of violence for movies and shows. Personally if I had a choice I'd rather my kids see beautiful images of the human body than dead bodies and guns. Ultimately parent's need to stop trusting profit based companies from determining what their family is watching and take responsibility to either turn off the TV or watch with your family and skip commercials. If you don't have the time to do that then…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. I use the V-CHIP.

I use the V-CHIP, but I'd like to see more specific, adjustable controls that could be modified by individual TV sets. The digital technologies available should enable us to give consumers a choice. If I could set my television to mute every time that somebody spoke an explitive, I would be satisfied. Censor-relative data could be streamed in a similar manner to caption services, and could be set according to individual preferences on individual sets. It would give a certain level of freedom to both consumers and producers, inasmuch as the proper censoring information was streamed alongside the program.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. I agree BE A PARENT & an ADULT!!!

I agree BE A PARENT & an ADULT!!!

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. 1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Include a Sexism Rating in the TV-rating

By creating and including qualifiers for sexism shown in television programs, we can inform and warn viewers of the harm that sexism does to women in our society. This is something not taken into consideration in our current rating system and needs to be addressed . Poor portrayals of women lead to a decrease in self esteem of our nations young women and girls.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Please show age-appropriate commercials during Children's programming times.

My children were watching the movie "Imagine That" this afternoon and then commercial/preview came on for a horror show called "The Originals". The commercial showed all types of blood, torture and gore that was completely inappropriate for children. I would never let my children watch that show, nor is that show geared toward children. So why would a Program Director air that preview during a movie that is definitely not the demographic for that particular show? I am asking the Programming Directors to take a hint from the Motion Picture Association and only show previews that are appropriate for the…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. thanks to being able to block certain rated shows i am able to monitor what my children watch. please do not censor nudity/cursing on tv. ty

thanks to being able to block certain rated shows i am able to monitor what my children watch. please do not censor nudity/cursing on tv. bring more shows that are children rated, instead of trying to make everyone happy by making one show acceptable for children/teens/adults instead make shows for children/teens/adults separate. please make shows that are oriented for children. more shows oriented for teens. and shows that are oriented for adults. this way i can easily block the adult shows from the children. and everyone is happy to be able to turn to tv to be entertainedby enjoying our…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. 1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. We trust our networks. If a network ever shows content that we object to, then we will no longer watch that network.

Old fashioned parenting and values are what we hold fast to. When networks impose their own lack of moral values. We have no other choice but to turn it all off. We can at least filter the internet.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. 0 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
1 3 Next →

CLOSED: FCC.gov/Parents - What do you do to prevent your kids from watching inappropriate television shows?

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base